Thursday, November 15, 2012

Loveholics & Davichi

This week, I have two artists that I'd like to introduce, because I really couldn't choose between Loveholics and Davichi. Both artists' music make me feel nostalgic, and matches perfectly with the cold and bittersweet weather we seem to be having these days. While Loveholics is of a more modern rock genre, Davichi's is a combination of R&B and ballad.

Loveholics (top) and Davichi (bottom).
Loveholics is a modern rock group that now consists of members Kang Hyun Min and Lee Jae Hak. The group was founded in 2002, under the name Loveholic, where they still had Ji Sun, a former member and the band's lead singer. She left the group in 2007, and in 2009, the duo came back with a new album, as Loveholics. Since both of the members are instrumentalists, the group now uses the help of guest artists for the vocals in their songs.

At first, I considered checking out some of their older albums, because they still had a singer back then, therefore their songs were probably better. However, I was surprised when I listened to their latest album, "In The Air" by accident, and found out that it was actually really addicting. This is the first album that Loveholics released since Ji Sun left, and they haven't released anything else yet.

I was completely amazed by this album. The first track, "Raining" had me immediately hooked, and I thought that the whole album flowed very well together. "The Wind Is Very Cold" and "Words You Shouldn't Know" were my favorites, while I loved the instrumental sounds of "Raining" and "Miracle Blue." It's perfect music for rainy days and when you're feeling down, even if for no reason.

"Raining"


In The Air (2009)
  1. Raining (ft. Christina)
  2. The Wind Is Very Cold (ft. Whale)
  3. Pain (ft. Jang Eun Ah)
  4. Pause, Secret, Comfort (ft. Woo Mi Jin)
  5. Beautiful (ft. Park Hye Kyung, Park Ki Young)
  6. Miracle Blue (ft. Shin Min Ah)
  7. Message From Tokyo (ft. Miki)
  8. Words You Shouldn't Know (ft. Arim)
  9. To Me, You Are (ft. Kang Hyun Min)
  10. Butterfly
Davichi is a ballad duo that consists of members Lee Hae Ri and Kang Min Kyung. In Korean, "Davichi" essentially means "light that shines everywhere." The group was created in 2008, debuting with their first album, "Amaranth." They immediately took the spotlight, winning "Rookie of the Month" at the Cyworld Digital Music Awards, and managing to get first place on a popular music show. After more than four years since their debut, Davichi has made their name as one of the most talented ballad singers in the industry, despite essentially being a K-Pop act.

Since I was somewhat aware of Davichi before, I decided to check out some of their older albums. When I first checked out "Amaranth," it was amazing. The songs range from catchy pop to very powerful R&B-like ballads. I especially liked the guitar sounds, and what is that, an accordion playing in the beginning of "Put On My Thick Lipstick." "Sad Promise" had a really catchy chorus - "I don't wanna do it, don't wanna do it" was stuck in my head for a few days. Overall, I thought all of the songs were pretty good, and refreshing to listen after listening to plain old K-Pop all the time.

Here's "Sad Promise," along with the music video:

"Sad Promise"



Amaranth (2008)
  1. I Love You, I Hate You
  2. Put On My Thick Lipstick
  3. The Bad And Hurt Me
  4. Sad Promise
  5. Old Love
  6. Sad Love Song
  7. Starry Night
  8. Is That How It Is
  9. Barely Barely
  10. The Opposite Of Breakup

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Chae Won. I like the details of your descriptions of Loveholics (great band name) and Davichi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sadly way out of the loop in K-pop, after I didn't keep up with the K-pop happenings this summer, so I really appreciate your blog! I also liked this post. I'm glad you focused on more alternative (I don't know if that's quite the right word, but I mean not the typical K-pop artists you see) groups. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete