Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Psy

Oppa, gangnam style! You guys probably know what I'm talking about. In a matter of a little more than a month, Psy's "Gangnam Style" music video has garnered more than 100 million views on YouTube. What's really amazing is that it has managed to reach Uni, where only a few enlightened fans of K-Pop reside. Although several K-Pop artists' music videos have managed to bring in millions of views, Psy's video is probably the only one that's gotten as popular with the international audience, particularly in the U.S. This, my friends, is the true power of the Internet.



Despite Psy's oh-so-popular video, what really got me to write this post is his most recent album, "Psy's Best Sixth." I have to admit, if it wasn't for his video, I wouldn't have gotten the motivation to actually download his album and listen to his songs. I try to be open to all kinds of music, but there's something about K-Pop that has you worshiping only one or two artists at a time, at all times. For those of you who aren't very familiar with K-Pop (Korean pop music, if you didn't already guess), Psy isn't your typical artist in the K-Pop world. Nowadays, you will see that most K-Pop artists are mainly groups formed of 5-7 members, that are more image-based (as in, pretty) than focused on their music. Of course, there are some K-Pop artists out there who don't fall into this category, and a very few who succeed in both looks and music, but that's the way it is mainly in the modern K-Pop world.

Psy, as you have seen in his music video, is a fairly chubby (some may say fat) Korean man in his mid-30s. He is not your average K-Pop artist, and therefore, he didn't catch my interest before. Psy (real name Park Jae Sang) was born in Korea, but received most of his post-secondary education in the U.S., attending Boston University and later, the Berklee College of Music. He officially debuted in 2001, with the release of his first album, "Psy...From the Psycho World." Known mainly as a rapper and hip-hop singer, most of his albums have been subject to criticism from the Korean public for its "inappropriate content." Many of his songs are about "scandalous" topics like sex and drinking, and therefore have been banned from selling to the younger audience, people under the age of 19.

Despite this, he is very well-known in the K-Pop industry, and has a huge following of fans in Korea. Unlike many K-Pop artists of his time, Psy composes almost all of his songs, some of which have become great hits. He's also known for his many collaborations with other famous Korean artists, such as Lee Jae Hoon and Brown Eyed Soul's Jung Yeop. 

Upon listening to his sixth album, I instantly fell in love with all of his songs. It's kind of weird, because I usually don't like this kind of music, but as soon as they came into my ears, they stuck, and buried themselves into my heart. That's how good his music is.

"Year of '77"


If I had to pick a favorite, I would say "Year of '77" stuck in my head the most. Psy was born on the very last day of 1977 (December 31st), and therefore the song is about back in the days, in the good old '70s and '80s. The song features singer Kim Jin Pyo and hip hop duo, Leessang, who were also born around the same time. It has a catchy chorus phrase, "do you remember," which basically states the nostalgic theme of the song. Along with a bittersweet melody, most of the song is rap, courtesy of Psy and Leessang members Gary and Gil. The lyrics really stuck to me - they basically tell of how it was back in the days, when they were only high schoolers, looking for love and still finding their place in the world. Of course, as a high schooler (and soon-to-be college student), I could just relate.

I'm still in the middle of exploring more of Psy's music, as this is the sixth album that he's released. As you probably noticed, I'm in love with his music. I'm so glad I tried a hand at a genre of K-Pop that I didn't know existed, or was so good. I really recommend trying out his music, even if you're not a fan of K-Pop. Who knows, you might be the one getting sucked into Gangnam Fever...

Here's the full tracklist for the album:


1. Blue Frog (ft. G-Dragon)
2. Passionate Goodbye (ft. Sung Si Kyung)
3. Gangnam Style
4. Year Of '77 (ft. Kim Jin Pyo, Leessang)
5. What Could Have Been (ft. Park Jung Hyun)
6. Never Say Goodbye (ft. Yoon Do Hyun)

11 comments:

  1. I can't understand any of the lyrics except for the part "Hey sexy lady," but the song is still so catchy I almost like it!
    When I first saw the video it surprised me that a 30 year old, chubby guy like him could be a pop star, but he isn't that bad at all.
    Also, I've noticed in general that Kpop videos and artists always have so much better dancing than American ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. That's because K-Pop artists spend hours and hours practicing their dances. :) Thanks for commenting, you should really come to one of our Asian Media Club meetings! Fridays at lunch, room 210!

      Delete
  2. Good post, Chae Won. I enjoyed this video, which has a definite sense of humor (and also makes a visual allusion somewhere in the second minute (when Psy is coming out of the pool) to a song/video I was obsessed with as a youth, Duran Duran's "Hungry like the Wolf."

    This post is nicely written, for the most part, but there seems to be a glitch in the writing just before you embed the audio for "Back to '77." You end the paragraph with "That's a weird way to say it, but basically it," which doesn't make sense and isn't a sentence (due to the fragment after "but"). I'd fix that. Otherwise, well done first post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wow, all the things Psy can do... Thank you for letting me know about the glitch, I fixed it. :)

      Delete
  3. Can't...stop...horsedancing... I love your blog design! And of course, the soon-to-be-canonical Gangnam Style. It's really crazy how far this video has gone. I can't help but feel immense second-hand pride, as I'm sure you can relate with.

    I like your incorporation of media! The video, the audio file, and the album art -- just enough to give us an introduction to PSY's newest album. I have downloaded the album, but never got around to listening to anything other than Gangnam Style. Looking at the tracklist here, I realized just how many artists he collaborated with for this epic release. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You really should listen to the songs. And also, read the article that Evan recommended: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/. That really opened my eyes to whole other aspect of the video. It seems like I'll never know everything about my home country, Korea. I'm so Korean, but really I'm not. :/

      Delete
  4. What really made the song for me was the fact that it is quite possibly the most serious K-Pop song ever--and it is certainly the most successful in history, given by the worldwide attention and how it has overtaken "Gee" as the #1 K-Pop video on YouTube.

    This is an article explaining the social commentary that I would highly recommend to anyone:

    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that really opened my eyes... Thanks so much for recommending it! I really suggest everyone else read this article. Food for thought.

      Delete
  5. As someone who does not usually listen to international music, I find this post very well-written and informative in terms of giving some background information about Psy's life and music. I recently watched the music video for "Gangnam Style" for the first time and, like Kathryn, I couldn't make out much of what they were saying, but the video itself was pretty entertaining nonetheless.

    One thing I have a question about is something you said in the last paragraph of the post: that "Psy's Best Sixth" is "only the sixth album he released." I would consider six albums over the span of ten years to be a fairly decent amount, but is it common for K-Pop artists to release many more than that? I am curious if there is a disparity between the frequency at which K-Pop musicians and American pop stars release albums. Really good post, Chae Won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a typo, thanks for catching that! :)

      Delete
  6. This is an awesome post that I just discovered Chae Won! I really don't listen to much international music, like Gabby, outside of the occasional British or Scandinavian band. Probably due to the fact that the language barrier is so large, I've rarely listened to Asian pop music, but I suppose, when it comes down to it, it's not really so much the lyrics that matter, but rather the quality of the music being made. If you think about it, the rhythm and melody can carry over and be appreciated without knowledge of the things that the lyrics say, even though an understanding of the lyrics might make the song and what it has to say more meaningful. Anyways, I enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete